Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy National Baklava Day!

Photo Credit
Happy National Baklava Day!
-
Total coincidence. I was making Baklava on Sunday (so I could mail some to Grandpa), and then Monday I updated my Facebook status about it, and someone told me that November 17th, is National Baklava Day! I had no idea, and yet here I was baking some! So Happy National Baklava Day everyone!
-
Baking Baklava is a Thanksgiving Tradition in my family. My grandmother would always bring a pan of it when she came to visit for the holiday. My family isn't Greek or of Meditteranean ancestry, but we just enjoy the dish I guess. I always thought it was difficult to make, but after Grandma passed away I asked for the recipe from Grandpa. He had 3 different recipes for it, but the photo in this blog, more closely resembles the type that Grandma made. She used almonds for the nuts, and always put a clove in the center of each piece. You would then remove the clove to eat the baklava, but it was a nice flavor to have in the pastry while you baked it. Mmm mmm mmm. Makes the house smell AMAZING too! Free aromatherapy while you bake. You can't go wrong with that!
-
Just fair warning, they say it's about 590 calories per piece though. Eat with caution.

No comments: