Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Weekend and Recipe for Teriyaki Sauce

Saturday Night was a nice reunion with our dear White Russian, who had returned from Vegas for a brief break. We dined on Fried Rice and Teriyaki Chicken. This brings me to my recipe for the day.
-
How to make Teriyaki Sauce with what's in the kitchen:
Ingredients needed: Soy Sauce, Ground Ginger (from the spice rack), Syrup or Sugar or whatever sweetener you usually cook with if you are low-carb dieting, Sesame Oil or Sesame Seeds.
In Skillet, pour some soy sauce (I used about 2 cups), squeeze in 1/3 cup of Syrup (I used Aunt Jemima's Lite), shake a good tablespoon of ground ginger over this mixture, and a dash of Sesame Oil. Heat to a light simmer, stirring frequently to get the ginger to mix in all the way. Voila! You can add more of a specific ingredient to taste (say if you like it more salty then add more soy, etc).
CAUTION: Soy Sauce has wheat gluten in it, so if you are trying to eat gluten free, then you need to buy specifically labled "gluten-free soy sauce" - I know they don't tell you that up front.
-
After dinner, we hung out talking and drinking and just having a good ole time. Matt lit a fire in the fireplace, and it was just a relaxing evening. My sinuses had been acting up that morning, but by the evening time, I was feeling just perfect. I even had a cuban seed cigar. oh yes I would pay for it later, I thought.
But no.
Just before bedtime, I took my generic Zyrtec-D, and drank an "Urban Detox" which is specially formulated to benefit sinus and lung functions.
And guess what?
Function: Urban Detox Drink really works, or the Zyrtec helps it work better, whatever. Anyway I'm sold!
-
Easter Sunday was just gorgeous! Sunny with a light breeze, and highs in the 70s. We did a Goldberg's Bagel run, and hung out on the porch/deck almost all day long. Matt and I had the leftover chinese food for lunch, and then for dinner we grilled out. Burgers/Spicy Sausage and sides of broccoli, corn, and potato-au-gratin puffs.
We wound down the evening with a movie "YES man" - Jim Carey. Hysterical! I highly recommend it. We were laughing so hard, I even woke up laughing about it. Great movie!
-
Monday's weather is a bit odd. It's raining sideways, it's cold (50s), branches/leaves/debris all over the road, some of the traffic lights are out, but I came to work anyway.

No comments: