Thursday, November 26, 2009

New York New York Thanksgiving Day

Thursday, November 26th - Thanksgiving Day!
Lauren & Torrey left at the crack of dawn to catch an early flight.
We slept in some, but I dragged myself out of bed at 7am. Frank was trying to wake me up, I could tell. And I wanted to get him a walk before they put up the barricades for the Macy's Parade. I threw on some clothes, and my puffer vest, and off we went. Thankfully, even though Central Park West was barricaded, the crosswalk was still open. So we passed several families (setting up their spot on the corners), and ran over to Central Park. Frank did his business, and it was quick. He seemed to know something big was about to happen. He was also on his best behavior. He stayed with me, and weaved in and out of crowds of people, as we made our way back to the crosswalk. OH CRAP, now the crosswalks were barricaded! How would we get back to the apartment? I wasn't about to walk miles north to W 79th street to get around the parade. Heck no! Frank and I stood helplessly at the crosswalk, wondering what to do. Suddenly, I noticed a family ducking under the barricades and crossing the street to my side. OOH it WAS possible? I squeezed myself through a barricade, but then had to worry about Frank and his leash. I let him walk under one, but then I had to get his leash untangled. Bless his heart. He just put his paws on top the barricade and waited for me to get the leash figured out. Meanwhile, the crowd just LOVED him. Everyone was petting him, and oohing and saying "what a good dog!" and "my he is SOFT", and Frank was just eating up the attention. We crossed the street, and thankfully, the policeman was there, and I politely explained that we had to get through to our apartment. He was very kind, and physically moved one of the barricades to let us into our sidewalk. I thanked him. Another family we passed on the curb, had a little toddler. The cherub couldn't have been more than 1 yr old, just barely walking. The father asked if he could pet Frank. Of course I said. I also let them know that I was just dogsitting, so I kept a firm grip on Frank's collar while the toddler pet him. It was just the perfect moment. They thanked me, and then Frank and I weaved past the other clumps of people squatting along the street, and back to the apartment. Matt was still asleep. :-D
-
We opted to run out to Breadsoul Cafe again for a quick breakfast, and then back to view the parade. By the time we finished eating it was 8am. People were passing us with portable chairs, ladders, blankets, kids in tow, strollers, and all heading towards Central Park. Unbelievably, everyone was in high spirits, and very friendly. Matt and I decided the crowd at the end of our street was too packed for us, so we split up (he with his camera) and I with mine. Matt would take a few shots, and then go back to the apartment to watch the parade on TV and football. I was determined to watch the ENTIRE parade. Gradually I inched my way through the throng of people up towards the front corner of the street and Central Park West. When the first Balloon came into sight, I actually had tears in my eyes. There is NOTHING like watching the Macy's Parade LIVE and in person. The TV just can't convey the electric enthusiasm of the crowd and performers. It was exhilirating!
It was hard to believe I stood there, snapping away photos, waving back at the parade float celebrities, and singing along with the marching bands, for TWO hours in the cold. But it was so worth it!
-
Afterwards, I went back to the apartment and had Matt rewind the DVR so I could watch the parade again. Then it was time to shower and get ready for lunch.
-
We had 1:30pm Reservations at Bar Boulud for Thanksgiving Lunch. They had a Prix-Fixe Menu, and it was DIVINE!
I love how close everything is in NYC. We almost literally crossed the street and rounded the corner and BOOM we were there.
We splurged on 2 glasses each of one of the best wines I've ever had! It was a 2005 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel Magnum.
My menu choices were:
Soupe De Potiron - roasted butternut squash soup, candied pumpkin seeds, pomegranate molassas
Roasted Heritage Turkey - Corn Bread Stuffing (with giblets),haricorts verts, classic cranberry sauce, turkey gravy
Gratin De Pommes - Local granny smith apple butter, rouign amann cake, apple cider sorbet
Matthew had:
Coquilles Saint-Jacques - seared Maine diver sea scallops, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, almonds
Roasted Heritage Turkey - Corn Bread Stuffing (with giblets),haricorts verts, classic cranberry sauce, turkey gravy
Tarte Au Chocolat - bittersweet chocolate tart
and
Although we ordered only 2, we ended up tasting all 3 desserts (they gave us a free one)
Coupe De Potiron Confit - Pumpkin and Cranberry confit, toffee pudding cake, orange-caramel ice cream
It was just delicious!!!
-
Then we "waddled" back home, to watch football and relax. After all, the Cowboys were playing, that's Matt's Team!
In our new tradition (since I learned about it from Wine Club), we had some Beaujolais Nouveau to celebrate Thanksgiving.
-
Took Frank on his nightly walk, and fed him. We played fetch with his ball some too. He really loves to play!
-
We planned to go to Sushi at Haru or Amber, but Amber was closed, as we walked up the street, and we ran into a place called Sushi Gari, quite by accident. It was delicious, but the night was cold, everything was closed, and NYC felt empty for once.
We went home to enjoy some more wine and watch TV before bedtime.

No comments: