Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Limes & Coconuts

Photo Credit
So "you put a lime in dee co-co-nut" and then what? hee hee. I prefer to put rum and cream and shaved ice into the co-co-nut with a straw, and then drink it. Screw the lime unless you are also bringing me a Corona. LOL
Ahh "Rum Runners" in Freeport, Bahamas. I miss thee!
Link to Lime & Coconut Lyrics. Interesting.
-
oh yeah - funny story. So, we went to Freeport, Bahamas for Erika's Birthday earlier this year. We go to "Rum Runners" because it was recommended by a friend who had been there. I have a thing for Pina Colada's served STRAIGHT from the coconut - it's awesome! Ok so I digress. Anyhoo, Erika, Holly, Matt, and I are sitting at Rum Runners one night - drinking of course. And we see this older dude (maybe late 40s-early 50s) who we recognized from the resort swimming area earlier that day. He was hard to miss because his face was BURNT RED. Turns out he's a nice guy from Davenport, IA in Insurance or something or other, and so he buys us a drink. We chat with him for a bit. he takes a quick photo with his digital camera of me, Erika, and Holly. We barely got the guy's first name, but he seemed harmless. Fast-forward to a week later. I'm back at work, bored, missing the Bahamas, and I get an email from a friend. This friend had put us up at the Resort for a cheaper than normal rate, and had gotten a call from the Resort's front desk. The Burnt-face insurance guy had tried to find us, but since the hotel (thank goodness) doesn't give out information on guests to weird burnt-faced dudes, they got HIS info and called us. So, my friend passes this along. The message was something like "I have something for you girls" and I had a moment of panic that we'd forgotten something at the hotel. Also I did not remember the guys name or anything, so I hadn't made the connection yet. Ok - SO being the smart girl I am, I decided I would call him, BUT I would use my un-traceable work phone, versus my personal cell. I left him a very brisk business-like message about "I'm calling to find out more information on what you have for us, and how we can retrieve it, etc" - and leave him my work phone. He calls me back in about 1 hr, and THAT's when I realize who it is. He wanted to send us the photo he had taken on his camera and he wanted our mailing address. I asked if he couldn't just email it, after all it was digital. He said he preferred to mail it. I didn't want to give some potential creep my home address, so I gave him my work address.
----6 months go by---
A box is hand-delivered to my desk by the mail guy. He wants me to sign for it. I am like "I didn't order anything this size" and then I open it. It was very sweet actually. The Insurance Burnt-faced guy had printed Three 4x6 sized images of the photo he took. He framed each in real cherry-wood frames - and he had a brass metal engraved label attached to each frame reading "Rum Runners" Freeport, Bahamas. I forget if it had the date or not. Three framed photos, one for each of us. WOW! I was really surprised. The return address on the box was a UPS store in Davenport, so I have no way of tracking down this dude. However, that's fine. It was a nice gift, a nice moment, and that's sufficient. cool beans.

No comments: