Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Drugged up and reving my engines

RECAP of HOLIDAYS:
Matt's mom, stepdad, sister, and her hubby came over) on Christmas Day we had Honey Baked Ham, Mashed potatoes, spinach souffle, sweet potatoes, toffee ( I made it), pasta salad, apple pie, and appetizers (little things I had for wine club). we slept very well that night. LOL.
-
Brad (Matt's stepdad) put in our new front door and sidelights on Christmas Eve. Then he came back on Christmas day for dinner, and then on the 26th he came over to paint the door. Matt's mom came over the 26th also, and we watched "PS I love you" since I hadn't seen it yet. She's Irish so she was really lovin' the Irish guy who played the lead Gerard Butler from 300. ooh yummy. HE IS HOT! Love that accent.
-
I went to St. Pete, Florida for a few days to see my Sister Jamie and her family. Hint - NEVER travel on the Sunday after Christmas. Talk about TRAFFIC all the way down to Florida it was insane! Every Gas station, every restaurant, just busy and packed. IT took me 9 hrs to drive a 7.5 hr trip. Blah! but I made it. I finally got there about 8:30pm. The weather was VERY humid and hot. IT was high of 75-80 degrees the day after I arrived. I was wishing I had packed sandals, but it was okay. lovely sunshine. It had been raining in ATL so it was a nice change.
Jamie - She seems happy but she is frustrated with her hubby (I don't blame her), and money has been tight. I stocked her grocery cupboards, and got baby Michael a Dora/Diego training potty and pull-up pants (he is 2 now so he will be training for potty soon). He still isn't really talking that much, but he makes babbly noises like he's trying to talk to us. He is in his terrible twos so he did throw a few screaming tantrums. One day we got screamed out of the restaurant I took her to. Oh well. But the one very very good thing, is that I set her up with a new phone . It's an AT&T Go Phone (prepay so she doesn't have to use credit), and it's in Her name. Also this way the family and I can replenish her minutes online if necessary, so she won't be stuck without any human adult contact. Thank goodness!
-
Other good news - Jamie just got hired as the Apartment Manager of her complex, so her rent will be 50% off. YAY! Praise the Lord! I was praying for her, and it seems things are working out better now. Now they just need medical benefits someday. I have been encouraging her to see if she can work at one of the 3 Starbucks places within walking distance of her apartment (since her hubby has the car all the time for his landscaping business - no luck with driving). Starbucks will do full benefits even if you only work 20 hrs/week. She could maybe do a couple evenings and weekend mornings to make her hours, and then there would be no need for her to worry about daycare expenses. I hope this plan works out. But we'll see how it goes.
-
Then I drove home the night before NY Eve.
Matt & I rang in the new year at Solstice Café. It was delicious! I had the Sweet Potato Soup, the Wilted Spinach salad & Fennel salad, egg plant entre, and the beets appetizer (I know I am weird I love beets, but Matt can't stand them). anyway it was really yummy. It was warm here for a little bit (65-70 Christmas day and beyond), but then it was 20 degrees on NY Eve night.
New Year's Eve Photos - Tom's and Matt's
-
BACK TO REALITY:
I think I am coming back down with the sinus infection I had over Christmas week (and previously around Dec 4th), but I am resting and taking it easy. damn sinus infection. I can't smell anything. Got Antibiotics finally on Monday at the Doctor, but the decongestants make me feel like a zombie!
-
TODAY our Tile Guy is starting on the Master Bathroom. I forget if I told you or not, but the shower is leaking into the foyer, and we have not been able to fix it. The fear is that the subfloor is damaged and rotting. Long story short we are basically redoing the entire bathroom. We needed a low-flow toilet anyway and the floor isn't level, etc etc. . . so here we go. I am not happy about how much it costs to do, but we will pay it off with tax refunds and just delay some of our other things for now. Oh well. I am excited for getting a new bathroom though! Yesterday I cleaned it out, so our tile guy can have at it when he gets here. I'm so ready for this to be DONE!
-
Oh yes we had a visit from my cousin Tara and her new hubby and her 9 yr old son on the 26th. It was short notice but since they were welcome to stay at our house they didn't have to worry about getting a hotel. They were driving back from Virginia for the holiday and when she said she could potentially come by Atlanta, I told her to come on. We went out for Mexican and played a lot of the Wii games. It was nice visiting with her. She got married in October this year. Her new man is VERY sweet and good looking. They make a lovely couple. She is 1 of 3 cousins who are just a little older than me. Everyone else is younger. It is nice to have relatives close to my age. I usually feel old when the younger folks come over. LOL.
-
My parents are flying down to Tennessee to visit Grandpa in February around Valentine's Day. So Matt & I will meet them up there for a little vacation that month. Grandpa went to Memphis to the Peabody hotel for brunch on Christmas Day. He feasted like a king, let me tell you. He was going on and on about the caviar and the shrimp, etc. I love him so! He is hilarious.
-
Matt's mom's birthday is next weekend, so we are going up to their house to celebrate next Saturday. She wants to go to Red Lobster. I need to go on a diet. LOL.
-
Matt gave me the Sex & The City Movie for Christmas and he even watched it with me again. He is so sweet! I am a very lucky lady to have such a wonderful husband.
We have been experimenting with different chili dishes the last 2 days. I'm trying to gradually use up the Green Chilies Matt's Auntie sent us last Christmas (she had overnighted them from New Mexico, and the last container had been in my freezer for 1 yr - yes potent). So we are very slowly using it up. So far it is DELISH!!! I took lotsa Beano don't worry. LOL. I kicked his butt at Scrabble earlier last week. Friday last week, we got to Mina and Chris's to say farewell to her family who visted of the holidays. Ian is already 1 yr old can you believe it ?
-
Ok that is all the ramblings I have for now.
-
May your new year be even more fabulous than last year!

No comments: