Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Invasion of the Birds

Photo Credit
I return home, open the door from the garage to the house - and a damn bird is flying around inside banging into one of my bay windows in the breakfast nook/kitchen. I'm thinking WTF? The poor thing is trying to get outside.
I propped the door open so the bird would hopefully fly into the garage and outside, but no such luck. I must have scared it, because it flew into my kitchen and living room. It was a smart little booger, because he must have banged on every window I have trying to get out. I opened all the outside doors on the first floor trying to give him a way out, and finally he flies past me into the screen porch. Now that all the heat in my house has gone outside into the winter air, I run around and close all my outside doors. The bird was still stuck in the screen porch for a good 30 mins until he finally figured out that I had left the screenporch door open so he could get out to the deck. poor thing.
-
So how did he get in? I go upstairs, and figure out that the Tile Guy had opened 2 of my windows upstairs to cool off (he gets hot working in that small bathroom), but he hadn't pulled the screens down. ok Problem found and solved. Next I promptly free Sport from his room to take him for a walk (we have him locked up in a spare room so he doesn't get underfoot when the tile guy is there). I could have sworn all my other doors were shut upstairs, but somehow I must have opened the office door too. So I go take Sport for a walk, and then the tile guy returns. He had stepped out to get some more supplies from Lowe's or Home Depot, etc. I joked with him about the bird, and he laughs with me but also apologizes for leaving the windows open.
-
I'm getting ready to make dinner, but I have to logon to my work laptop. I go upstairs to grab the power cord, and as I'm coming out of the office, I see ANOTHER BIRD in Sport's room. AHH! So I quickly shut the door. I'm thinking - damn is there some kind of hole in the room? are there birds getting in from the attic? how many birds are in the house? damn damn damn!
I didn't want Sport to try to catch it (he loves birds and especially ducks/geese) - so I locked him in the office, and then I go get the Tile guy to tell him there's a 2nd bird in the house. I'm laughing at this point, but still too scared (scared that the bird will peck me) to go into Sport's room and open the window. The Tile guy, goes to check things out. He's in the room for 2 mins, and promptly comes out with the bird caught in between his hands. He gently walks down the stairs and lets the bird free outside. I'm like HOW did he catch the damn thing? Oh well.
We have a good laugh, and then I go on with my evening.
-
It wasn't until this morning, that Matt & I see all the BIRD POOP all over the office desk, Matt's sweater, Sport's room walls, the floor. Blah!
-
I hope we don't get bird flu (flew).
ok bad joke.

No comments: